Monday 5 September 2011

Britain's Got Talent - c. 1943

"A broad Brummie got up on stage and Ralph [Reader - leader of the Gang Show and mentor of Tony Hancock] said: "What do you do?"

"He said: "I jump."

"Ralph said: "No.  What's your act?"

"He said: "That's my act.  I jump."

"Ralph said: "What do you mean, you jump?"

"He said: "Well, I jump and get higher and higher.  That's what I do."

"He then stood to attention and he jumped and he jumped and he got so high.

"It became a standing joke between the two of us.  If I phoned him and he asked: "Who's that?", I would always say: "I jump."

"He always knew who it was then, and we were away."

(Friend of Tony Hancock, as quoted in Tony Hancock: The Definitive Biography by John Fisher)

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me irresistably of the tale that Spike Milligan recounts in one of his war memoirs about another entertainment unit officer conducting auditions.

    The act in this case consisted of the soldier saluting and falling flat on his back.

    "Is that it?" the officer demanded to know.

    "Yes sir - it takes it out of you."

    "Well, take it out of here," came the prompt reply.

    ReplyDelete